Sunday, November 5, 2006

The untrue bible?

Story time...

If I had cherished sin in my heart,

the Lord would not have listened (to my prayers);

(Psalm 66:18)

__________________________________________________

R. A. Torrey tells the story of a woman who came to him and said she did not believe in the Bible any more. When he asked her why, she replied, "Because I have tried its promises and found them untrue. The Bible says, 'If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.' (Matt 21:22) Well, I fully expected to get things from God in prayer, but I did not receive them, so the promise failed."

Dr. Torrey then turned her to 1 John 3:22 -- "And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight." Then he said, "Were you keeping His commandments and doing those things pleasing in His sight?"

She confessed she was not. Her trouble was not the Bible's Promises.

It was her own DISOBEDIENCE.

Source: Obedience=Joy by Bill Bright

0 comments: